Skid-steer loaders also referred to as Bobcat among the workers - are vehicles used particularly in construction industry. It has a lift arms which can be used to attach a large variety of tools and attachments which can help save labour. Skid-steer loaders are capable of making pirouette turns which renders them highly useful and maneuverable for jobs which need smaller but more maneuverable loaders. They are multi terrain loaders because their wheels can be replaced with tracks. Finally, like other front loaders, it can also be used to push load to a different location as well as carry the load in its bucket or for loading the material into a truck or trailer.
Normal wages for skid-steer load/bobcat operators are between £12 and £16 pounds per hour but it can increase with experience and qualifications.
There are no particular qualifications except that the employers may inquire about GCSE scores in some of the subjects like English and maths. Although you must be physically fit since the job can require hard physical work sometimes.
Licences Required to Work
- CPCS cat A23 – Skid Steer Loader
- On some sites there are NPORS licences accepted, but main Construction Operators licence is CPCS
To do any CPCS ticket You MUST first achieve CSCS Health , Safety & Envirnoment Test within 2 years
Job Description and Duties
It is a highly desirable construction job. The bobcat operators often have to work in public places where they have to be very responsible as well careful about safety at the site. The skid-steer loader is provided by the contractor and the operator would have to operate it according to the instructions of the supervisor. The shifts are generally of 9 hours.
Some of the duties of the bobcat operator are following:
- Loading different kinds of vehicles as well as skips with different variety of materials such as demolition bricks, damaged asphalt taken out from the road and rubbish etc.
- Transporting equipment in bucket or skip
- Most popular attachment is bucket or skip, but other attachments like breaking hammer or forks can also be attached to for different jobs and bobcat operator must be able to work with them safely and properly.